I love meeting people who are taking the leap from renting to buying their first home. It’s so important to get on the real estate market, but with a barrage of things to consider, often it can be hard to know where to start.
Here are my 7 top tips for first home buyers:
1. Make sure you can afford it – Financially, buying a home can be the biggest commitment you’ll ever make. Shop around for your mortgage and consider the services of a broker who will search for a range of options on your behalf. Make your budget realistic and don’t gloss over the numbers!
2. Arrange a builder’s report – It can seem like an extra expense but having an expert inspect the property will help to mitigate any potential risks, and can save you thousands in the long run.
3. Press the ‘on’ switch – Twist the taps, switch on the heap pump, click the oven fan on, and generally test things yourself to ensure they’re in working order. Occasionally, it’s the simple things which can be overlooked.
4. What do you need? – What can’t you live without? What can you live without? Establish your ‘needs’ versus your ‘wants’ when looking at a property. Ask lots of questions. Be inquisitive. The more information you have, the better decisions you can make.
5. Persevere – Looking for a house which ticks all the required boxes can take months, so perseverance is key. Keep your eye on the prize, and eventually you will find the house that suits you and your budget.
6. Visit twice – Go at different times of the day, and ask yourself – “does it still tick all the boxes?” Been overly thorough is always acceptable – you must be sure the property is your perfect match.
7. Team up with an agent you can trust – This is important. There are lots of houses out there and having that experienced someone by your side who can facilitate the decision making process is an invaluable asset. Negotiating the details and dealing with paperwork on your behalf is just the tip of the iceberg.
A good agent will find you a house. A great agent will find you a home.
If you are thinking about taking the leap from renting to owning your slice of kiwi paradise in Nelson, contact me today – I would love to help you make that dream come true!
Ph: 03 5487705