People often ask me what steps they can take to improve the appeal and value of their home.
There are some easy steps most home owners can take to help ensure they get the best price possible when going to market – without breaking the bank.
Here are 5 easy ways to improve the value of your home:
1. Out with the old. Have a weekend clear-out and get rid of the things which take up unwanted space. If you have a significant amount of acquired bits and bobs tucked away ‘just in case’, invite your friends over with the incentive of a barbecue afterwards. It’s amazing how much more space de-cluttering can create.
2. Throw a painting party. A fresh coat of paint is one of the easiest (and cheapest) ways to freshen up your home. Rather than risking bright colours, opt for neutrals such as yellow-based tones, staying away from anything too dark. Once again, many hands make for much lighter work, so turn it into a party and get the job done quicker!
3. Landscaping. Take a good hard look at your landscaping and trim back any unruly shrubs, hedges, or overgrown areas. Get rid of lawn ornaments, toys, leaves and other debris from the yard, as well as those tools or construction materials propped against a fence.
4. Lighting. You don’t have to spend a lot to create good quality lighting, just replace anything damaged, dated or distracting. For example, vamp up the old low-hanging retro chandelier with a simple pendant lamp. The same goes for harsh, fluorescent tube lighting – no-one wants to be blinded by the light!
5. Finishing touches. Replace the letterbox and front door mat with something smart and inviting. Make sure bathroom accessories such as toothbrush and soap holders are neat and coordinated. Replace the shower curtain…and add buy a nice rug – there’s always a place for a nice rug!
It doesn’t take large sums of money to make a big difference to the presentation of your home, and increase the opportunity to receive a good return on your investment.
If you are considering selling your Nelson property, and would like to find out more about ways to attract the best price for your home, contact me today to arrange a complementary consultation…buyers are ready and waiting!